(International Electrotechnical Commission System for Certification to Standards Relating to Equipment for Use in Explosive Atmospheres -IECEx System).
LabTest Certification Inc. has successfully completed the IECEx assessment process and is approved to operate within the IECEx Certified Equipment Scheme, to issue IECEx Test Reports (ExTR), IECEx Quality Assessment Reports (QAR), and the Online Certificate of Conformity (CoC).
We are able to test to the following standards:
- IEC 60079-0 Part 0: Equipment – General requirements
- IEC 60079-1 Part 1: Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures ‘d’
- IEC 60079-2 Part 2: Equipment protection by pressurized enclosures ‘p’
- IEC 60079-6 Part 6: Equipment protection by oil immersion ‘o’
- IEC 60079-7 Part 7: Equipment protection by increased safety “e”
- IEC 60079-11 Part 11: Equipment protection by intrinsic safety ‘i’
- IEC 60079-15 Part 15: Equipment protection by type of protection ‘n’
- IEC 60079-18 Part 18: Equipment protection by encapsulation “m”
- IEC 60079-25 Part 25: Intrinsically Safe Electrical Systems, type of protection “i”
- IEC 60079-26 Part 26: Equipment with equipment protection level (EPL) Ga
- IEC 60079-31 Part 31: Equipment dust ignition protection by enclosure “t”
The IECEx Scheme is an agreement among IECEx approved Certification Bodies, from several different countries, based on the use of international (IEC) standards and meant to facilitate the international trade of electrical equipment and services, intended for use in hazardous locations testing (explosive atmospheres), while maintaining the required level of safety. The two key items that support and ensure the fundamentals of this agreement are:
- The exchange and acceptance of test reports among participating ExTL’s (Ex Testing Laboratories) and EXCB’s (Ex Certification Bodies) for national approval in one or more countries
- No need for additional testing, with some exceptions:
- Some countries may have national deviations that need to be addressed, which means that the IEC 60079 standards series will be used as the main standard and another standard(s), for the specific country, will be used in addition (deviation) and therefore, some additional testing to address the deviations may be needed.
The IECEx Equipment Approval Scheme consists of 3 key elements, all issued by an IECEx Scheme Certification Body (ExCB):
- IECEx Test Report (ExTR), which documents the evaluation and testing of the subject equipment, performed to the applicable IEC 60079 series standards;
- IECEx Quality Assessment Report (ExQAR), which documents the suitability of the manufacturer’s implementation of the requirements of ISO/IEC 80079-34 Explosive atmospheres – Part 34: Application of quality systems for equipment manufacture. This audit is performed by a LabTest qualified auditor at the manufacturer location. Length and frequency of both initial and Surveillance (Follow-Up) audits vary depending on the existence of a quality management system based on ISO9000:2008 (certified by a third party) or not.
- IECEx Certificate of Conformity (IECEx CoC), issued by an ExCB to a manufacturer holding an ExTR and an applicable ExQAR.
Some of the benefits of the IECEx Scheme are:
- reduced testing and certification costs to manufacturer
- reduced time to market
- international confidence in the product assessment process
- one international database listing
- maintaining international confidence in equipment and services covered by IECEx Certification
- BASIC RULES — IECEx 01
- RULES OF PROCEDURE — IECEx 02
- IECEx Certified Service Facilities Program covering repair and overhaul of Ex equipment – IECEx 03
- Click here for a list of IECEx member countries