(Purpose) EMC Testing
EMC Testing (Electromagnetic) ensures electrical equipment is safe and does not interfere with the normal operation of other equipment is the basis for EMC Testing Compatibility (EMC) regulations.
The most common forms of EMC are known as electromagnetic emissions and electromagnetic immunity.
Around the world, many countries have set regulations that govern the use of EMC. For example, in Europe, the EMC 2004/108/EC directive sets the requirements for the control of immunity and emissions. In the United States, the FCC governs these requirements.
How LabTest Can Help with EMC
LabTest Certification Inc., an independent ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory, is capable of handling all of your needs for product certification.
We have established an excellent track record of providing first-class Electromagnetic Compatibility services.
With our 3m Electromagnetic Anechoic Chamber, we are able to provide you with more accurate results when compared with Open Area Test Sites (OATS) data.
Offering both FCC & IC certification, LabTest is also party to multiple international Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs), thereby facilitating the testing and certification of products into Australia, Korea, and the member countries of APEC.
LabTest can conduct a full range of radiated emissions testing from >9kHz. For specialized and automotive component testing, LabTest is able to conduct radiated immunity testing up to 75 v/m, depending on the size of the component under test.
MIL-STD-461, This standard covers the requirements and test limits for the measurement and determination of the electromagnetic interference characteristics (emission and susceptibility) of electronic, electrical, and electromechanical equipment.
EMC Testing Standards
LabTest can evaluate your household, commercial, industrial and Wireless products for EMC Emissions and Immunity.
As a quick reference, here are a few of the primary standards that are performed at our Richmond and Delta facilities:
For further details, please refer to our Accreditations page
EMC Testing Laboratory Capabilities
Our EMC department capabilities include, but are not limited to:
- NSA and sVSWR certified 3m Semi Anechoic Chamber (SAC) for Radiated Emissions
- 3m SAC and FAR Radiated Immunity Chamber
- Radiated Susceptibility/Immunity electric fields 10 kHz through 18.0 GHz up to 200 V/meter with AM, FM or pulse modulation
- Susceptibility/Immunity magnetic fields 20 Hz through 1000 Hz Helm-Holtz Coil up to 1000A/m
- Conducted Susceptibility 10 kHz through 300 MHz with AM, FM or pulse modulation
- Radiated Emissions electric field 9 kHz through 26.5GHz
- Radiated Emissions magnetic field 9 kHz through 30MHz
- Conducted Emissions 9 kHz through 80MHz
- EFT Pulse Generation up to 4,000 V
- Surge Pulse Generation up to 4000 V
- Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) up to 30,000 V
- Power line Harmonic Current Emissions (loads up to 230Vac, 16A)
- Power line Voltage Fluctuations (flicker) (loads up to 230Vac, 16A)
- Power line Voltage Dips and Interruptions (16A AC current max)
- AC power source single phase (other than 60 Hz) 45 Hz to 500 Hz up to 600 Vac and loads up to 4,500 VA
- AC power source three phase (other than 60 Hz) 45 Hz to 550 Hz up to 480 Vac and loads up to 3,500 VA
- DC power source 0 to 42 Vdc up to 20 A
- Troubleshooting/Design guidance
- Field consulting and Testing
- FCC Part 15C testing and Certification
- IC RSS Testing and Certification
- R&TTE Testing
- ETSI 300 113
- ETSI 300 328
- ETSI 300 330
- ETSI 301 489
- Consulting for overseas Certifications
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive – Electrical/Electronic Products to be affixed with the CE Marking must satisfy the requirements of the EMC Directive for the European Union.
FCC Rules & Regulations – FCC Part 15 is the most commonly used requirement for electrical electronic devices for both intentional and unintentional radiators.
Industry Canada Standards – In Canada, Industry Canada is the responsible agency for “Spectrum Management and Telecommunications”. The 2 most commonly used standards are:
- ICES-003 “Digital Apparatus” (Click here)
- RSS-210 “Low-power Licence-exempt Radio-communication Devices (All Frequency Bands): Category I Equipment
- IC Site Registration No.: 5970A
LabTest Certification Inc. is an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory for